Thursday, June 30, 2011

UNPATRIOTIC!!!

So I was on my way to work when I saw that gas prices had shot up from $3.24 per gallon to $3.69 a gallon!  My first thought was why, then I remembered that it's the last day of June.  It has nothing to do with the last day of June really, but everything to do with the first of July, and Friday, being tomorrow leading into a long, holiday weekend.

The 4th of July, our nation's Independence Day, is Monday and the oil companies are sticking it too us again because they know they can.  They know that all of us want to be out and about taking advantage of the long weekend and celebrating the 4th.  They know we'll all need to fill up this weekend before we head out, so they ordered their stores to raise prices .45c per gallon.  They call it supply and demand, I call it UNPATRIOTIC!! It's HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!  There is absolutely no excuse for it at all.  It's a just plain rotten thing to do!

My wife and I were invited to go to a concert with friends in Lexington Saturday, but going is out of the question now.  We can't afford the gas. 

I work and make decent money, but we're far from rich.  I already have to work overtime every week just to make up for the increases at the pump and still end with nothing left over to take care of other needs, like car repairs.  We've cut every expense possible and still gas prices suck up every extra cent I earn and then some.  Some months we have to dip into what's left of our tax returns to make sure everything gets paid.  We don't have cable and we never go out anymore.  If we're lucky, I can hit the red box for a video or two once a month and every time gas goes up, it's one less thing we can buy at the grocery store and the videos get cut.  How is the economy supposed to recover if we can't even put money into the red box because it has to go into the gas tank instead? 

We're not the only ones in this country who's finances stay so close to the wire.  Like I said, I make decent money, but it's not enough for this.  This is a time when we should be able to celebrate, pump some money back into the economy and be thankful that we're Americans and remember the sacrifices made to create this country and keep it.  Instead, we will be at home because the only money we can pump anywhere is into the gas tank of my tiny, 4cylinder, nine-year-old Pontiac.  That sucks!

The bottom line is, the oil companies don't care about us, or the USA, just themselves!  And that's UNPATRIOTIC!!!

Happy Birthday anyway, America!!




No comments:

Post a Comment